Do you remember the first National Park that took your breath away? Or the one where you found yourself? Or the one that you saw something you never expected? You can put all those memories and experiences into a National Park quilt! (Or create a bucket list quilt with the National Parks you want to visit….there ARE over 400 sites in the United States National Park System!)
This pattern is beginner friendly! There are many quilters who have never foundation or English paper pieced, and they are having BEAUTIFUL successes.
Learn how to foundation paper piece.
Learn how to English paper piece.
Tailor the blocks to resemble different aspects of parks. Here are some ideas for you:
– Aspen trees for Parks like Yellowstone, Acadia, Rocky Mountain National, Grand Teton…
– Squash Blossom or Teepee to honor the Native Americans. Parks like Mesa Verde, Capital Reef, Chaco Canyon…
– Pine Trees for parks like Acadia, Rocky Mountain National, Glacier, Banff, Grand Teton, Olympic…
– Ohio Star for parks like Homestead, Parks along the Oregon Trail…to resemble the sun
– A Star for Dark Sky Parks, or for coastal parks with sea stars, like Olympic, Alcatraz, even state parks (no need to limit yourself!!)…or patriotic parks like Mount Rushmore, Betsy Ross house (this ought to be a park!)…
– A teepee for parks with nomadic Native Americans, like Bents Old Fort, Mount Rushmore, Sand Creek Massacre…
– 54-40 block for James Polk Birth home, parks along the Oregon Trail…
– A campfire for your favorite place to have a campfire…or pair it with a star for Paul Revere’s home, or the Statue of Liberty.
– A cactus for Saguaro NP (yes, this isn’t a saguaro cactus…), Death Valley, Mesa Verde….
– A canoe for Voyageurs, Yellowstone, Grand Teton…
– A cannon for battlefield or fort sites….
– A bear for any of the 142 sites with bears!
Park specific blocks in this pattern include:
– Old Faithful
– Artist Point at Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
– Roosevelt Arch
– Yosemite National Park (2 blocks)
– Capital Reef National Park
– A Lighthouse for coastal National Parks
– A lake or open space (not shown)
– Great Sand Dunes NP and Preserve
– Acadia National Park
– Arches National Park
– An Airstream (oh the places you can go!)
– Washington Monument
– The White House
– Liberty Bell
– Black Canyon of the Gunnison
– Big Bend
– Dinosaur National Monument
– Mormon Row – Grand Teton
– Kenai Fjords
– Devils Tower
– Dinosaur Footprints
– Great Smoky Mountains
– Bryce Canyon
– Performance Parks (like Wolf Trap, and Jean Lafitte)
– Hawai’i Volcanoes
– Aspen leaf & Maple leaf
More are in the works! Purchase now, and you’ll receive automatic and unlimited pattern additions!
Download a PDF with all the National Parks, and the blocks you can use. Note that this is a work in progress.
Join the Sew Along!
Join us for a go-at-your-own-pace National Parks sew along! Piece as many as you can or want. These blocks DO stitch up quickly, so if you’re prepping before road-tripping, over prepare…you’ll want to sew more 😉
We have been having SO much fun with this pattern, I’m extending the quilt along to be indefinite! Join when you wish, and sew at your own pace. Join other National Park loving quilters, and stitch your way through memories, or a bucket list quilt!!
We have a quilt along group where all the fun is hosted, we’d love for you to join us!
Use hashtag #EPPNPSAL and #EPPNationalPark to follow along and get inspiration from other sewists.